Exploring Education of the Heart
Aristotle wrote, “Educating the mind without educating the heart, is no education at all.” What does that mean to you? Are you heart intelligent? You may be unaware that any type of education is not good enough. You’ve heard sayings like these before: follow your heart, speak from your heart, trust with your heart. This is exactly what Aristotle is talking about in this quote. He taught that the heart was the center of the body. In fact, he believed that the heart was the true “center” of the human body, and that the brain was not. Which of these organs do you follow the most as you explore your education and experiences?
Start With Your Individual Heart
The first area to explore in heart intelligence is the individual’s heart. Are you true to your own desires and needs?
- Do you connect with the energy that comes from your emotions? Why do you have the emotions you have in various situations?
- Are you aware of your thoughts and feelings? Do you know what your longings are and why they are present?
- Do you feel alive and present when you are connected to your true passions?
- Are you able to sit and contemplate each of the emotions you have and truly allow it to happen without labeling it wrong or right?
Consider the Relationship Heart Intelligence
Now, take a look at a few other ways to learn with your heart.
- Do you allow your heart to guide you to the things you want? When creating goals or making decisions, does your heart lead your decisions?
- Do you make decisions that feel right? You may think they are right, but do they feel right?
- Do you accept others and not try to fix them or change them?
- Do you connect to your future? Do you see your future and focus on it to ensure it comes to pass?
- Do you take steps to move beyond challenges and resistance by seeing and feeling the best steps forward?
Listening to your heart is not just about personal relationships and daily life. It impacts your health and your business life as well. When you learn and grow based on your heart and your head, you can lead a more fulfilled life that you control. In short, if you want to live a different life or you wish to control the outcome of your life, you need to learn and grow from the heart.
Contributed by Rakesh Malhotra, Founder of Five Global Values (www.fiveglobalvalues.com) and Author of “Adventures of Tornado Kid, Whirling Back Home Towards Timeless Values”. Passionately determined to uncover the mystery of human behavior. His fascination with the influence of core values on human behavior stems from a career which has seen rise from an entry-level sales job to that of a seasoned CEO. Having worked, lived, or traveled to more than 40 countries, he has been able to study performance and human behavior across all cultures. Follow me @FiveValues